Recent Articles

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

THE VOICE: Heneral Luna: Reflections

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY (MindaNews/21 September) — Why look for unity when it’s not there…?
My eyes still stung long after Gel, Ruby and I left the movie house.  It’s been ages since I last saw one memorable movie; much less one memorable Filipino movie.
Raj texted Friday that we should watch Heneral Luna.  Okay…movies cost a fortune – well, maybe pittance – but it’s hard to part with hard-earned money on scripts and plots that just change titles, producers, locations and actors.  Maybe I could wait for the DVD; and since I abhor many things that occupy space – maybe an e-copy will do.
Ever the loving firstborn who makes things happen without being disagreeable, Raj just lets his movie-bored mom be.
With time on my hands I googled (where else to go but virtual) Heneral Luna.  Why, it’s been on FB at the time when Pacquiao and Mayweather were pummeling each other, and I didn’t see it?  Shame.  Unfolding in front of me were reviews that led to another; and another; and so on and so forth.  This may be worth my time so Sunday was a date; after church.
*****
The ticket girl told us that religious services are held every Sunday at the same cinema where Heneral Luna was assigned.  I told her to convey to management that their schedules on the internet should be updated so as not to fool patrons.  Who cares if the message got across?
People were forming a beeline to another cinema dedicated to some movie – again, Filipino (arrgghhh) – about confused relationships.  Why do they love to create problems where there’s none, no…? So so first world let’s just discuss that later.
We had no choice but take the first screening the next day Monday.  And be there an hour early. - From mindanews.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment